Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hawaii: Land of Contrasts

Waimea, Kauai v. Honolulu

Today is a travel day--from Kauai to Honolulu. The travel to Hong Kong called for a lengthy layover in Honolulu so I decided to stay over a bit longer and visit Pearl Harbor. That's tomorrow's adventure.
We are at a superb hotel--The Hawaii Prince. We've stayed at the Akasaka Prince in Tokyo and the Prince Hotel in Toronto. Both memorable stays, perhaps a story for tomorrow. The hotel caters to Japanese tourists, so there is a marvelous sushi buffet and everything is meticulous. OK, that's my advertisement for the day. I wonder if I can get a commission.
Back to the travel.
It is a bit hard to imagine I think for many people who live in cities, just how rural America really is.  I know, like Crocodile Dundee, that people in America must like each other so so much that they all want to live next to each other. Of course, for a guy who has traveled to Siberia, the Outback, the Northwest Territories and the Amazon, you can guess which side of the debate I'm on.
Turns out Hawaii is no different. Rural (we love it) v. Urban (not so bad, but not my cup of pineapple juice) So here it is--all in one day.

Waimea, Kauai



Honolulu




Of course you know:



 

I love Wisconsin,BUT...

2 comments:

  1. So a little sand in my pumps instead of snow or salt might not be so bad today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you living off the taxpayer dime so nicely

    ReplyDelete