Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Alpha and the Omega

Does Anyone Deserve to be this Lucky?

Now I realize that we all get lucky on occasion. You know, the time you win the church raffle (or if you’re my mom, the time you win a car), that time your wife decided to make the best baklava (black bottom pie, pork roast, chicken, ham,[insert every form of great food my wife Karen has ever made]) the time the Packers won a playoff game or the Bears actually had a quarterback that could throw the ball—well you get the idea. But if you were to tell me in July that picking January 6, 2014 to leave for the beginning of a great journey, and that would be the single worst cold weather day in recent memory, well that I think would be generally accepted in a Court of Law as ipso facto “lucky”. (Bow to/thank you Miss Breese, my High School Latin Teacher.) Now, I’m not saying I don’t live right, but really is anyone entitled to pick today to leave for Hawaii from Chicago.

Oh, who isn’t mortified with the idea that you might have, god forbid, 4 ounces of liquid in a carry-on. I mean if the 9-11 terrorists achieved nothing else, they did strike terror into every American flyer since. And while I’m not sayin’ those guys and gals at the TSA aren’t the most dedicated lot of government bureaucrats on the planet, have you noticed how much glee your disrobing gives that really squirrelly guy with glasses who just patted you down. Just sayin’….
By the way, I’m wondering if there is a ranking service for in-room coffee. We stayed at the Hilton at O’Hare and this coffee, in the room, is really good. No, really, I’m not kidding. Usually the hogswallop that goes for coffee in a hotel room is better left for cleaning the sink, but. not this morning. Bravo to Hilton. (Of course, and I’m not rubbing it in for all of you huddled around the stove for heat in the Upper Midwest, I hear Kona coffee is the cats nuts.) Now I realize that we all get lucky on occasion.
Yes, we arrived, and if this isn't paradise, you can see it from here.

1 comment: