Friday, January 10, 2014

WOW--JURASSIC PARK MEETS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

Kauai boasts about the number of movies filmed here. One could cynically say, "Weather is perfect, place is beautiful--what movie producer, director, actor would not look for a script set here. Free vacation!" In fact, I'm wondering why, and this is a legal beagle observation, lawyers don't file more lawsuits here--Free Vacation! (Not really "free", the client pays, but that's like "free" isn't it? Says the now cynical old lawyer.)
Then we went in a helicopter, and well, as that kid with us from Temecula, California said after, "It's like Jurassic Park here dude."
As this story ends well, it did not start out optimistically. You see Karen gets seasick "looking at a boat", so the idea of a helicopter thru the clouds, in and out of rain, along the a deserted coastline on the north coast of Kauai--well that's akin to threatening to take the brandy out of a Wisconsin bar, to frightening to contemplate. I cajoled, I pleaded, I begged, I paid in advance (the guilt thing about money....) and still she would not commit. Alas, I had nearly given up, but she has one weakness, we all know it don't we--nah, she doesn't have any weaknesses. So, it's not quite clear to me why, when we arrived at the office for 'preflight' stuff, she said "yes." I guess it's a lot like asking her to marry me. Me? Skinny dweeb with long hair (now fat old guy with no hair). She said "yes" then, too, and I still can't figure that one out. I digress.
Here's the helicopter. A bit small, I'd say.


Then the trip... WOW. Seriously, they filmed both Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Caribbean at some of these locations. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.





One last thing, I ran into (well not literally) several guys fishing today on the beach during my morning walk. Of course I talked to them, otherwise my kids would be disappointed. After all I've embarrassed the kids for years as I've spoken to every neer-do-well potentially homicidal looking person fishing from every dock, peer, beach, boat and rock over my 60 years in the often vain hope that they would tell me the secret of life (or at least the right bait to use). Well, it seems there are fish in the ocean--the wonders--and you can catch them right here in front of the cabin. Hmmmmm. Just wondering if there could be a chance of you know what in my future....

1 comment: